(Makes 6 servings)
• 1 large yellow onion
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 3 cups lentils
• 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
• 1 teaspoon curry powder (or to taste)
• 3 teaspoons. garam masala (or to taste) (I didn't add this)
• 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
• 4 cups chicken broth (6 cups if you prefer soup) (I used 4 cups)
• 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
• 2 cups water
• 1 tablespoon garlic powder (I used 3 cloves minced garlic instead)
• 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1. Roughly chop your onion and place into a large pot with the olive oil. Cook the onions until they are translucent. In fact, if you know how to caramelize onions, go for it.
2. Add your lentils to the pot and stir.
3. Add the coconut milk to the pot and bring to a low boil.
4. Add all other ingredients. Cook on medium heat, stirring frequently to keep the beans from burning on the bottom of the pot.
5. Stew is finished when the lentils are soft and fully cooked.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
I eat mine over cooked rice. Yummy!
Rachel asked me to post this after making a batch for her and her sisters.