MagPad Dinner Table

MagPad Dinner Table

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Grapefruit Appetizer


2 cups water
2 cups sugar
Boil long enough to dissolve sugar

4 cans (15 oz size) grapefruit
Blend in blender, including juice, to break up pieces.

1 cup maraschino cherries, chopped small (or blended).  Use some cherry juice, but not much

Juice of 1 large lemon (or lime)

Mix all together and freeze in 9 x 13 pan.

Serve a scoopful of frozen mixture in a glass of 7 Up.
I serve the slush with diet soda, because the slush already has a lot of sugar in it. 

Keeps a long time.  Serves a very large group.

The Kroger brand makes "Ruby Red Grapefruit sections in light syrup" in the 15 oz size. I found them at Ralphs grocery store.  I also found Del Monte brand 15 oz cans at Walmart.   I used my mini food processor to cup the cherries very small.  Since we have a lime tree, I have also used the lime juice instead of the lemon juice.  I also buy the maraschino cherries from Smart and Final.  They are cheaper there.

This is a recipe from my childhood, so that means the recipe is over 40 years old. Yikes! I copied the recipe exactly how it was 40 years ago.  I have to say that this is a very good slush appetizer. I don't know why I don't make it more often. As a kid I used to love to eat the slush without the soda.


No comments: