MagPad Dinner Table

MagPad Dinner Table

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Homemade Fruit Smoothies

2 cups milk or 1 cup milk and 1 cup yogurt
1 cup ice cubes
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

In a blender combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Makes 2 smoothies.

You can make any combination of the following for your smoothies. When using juice, substitute juice for milk in recipe.

Top off any smoothie with ginger ale or sparkling water.
strawberries, blueberries, peaches and a sprig of mint
strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries
strawberries, raspberries and banana
orange juice, pineapple juice, banana
crushed pineapple, 1/4 tsp coconut flavoring
apple juice, coconut and 1/4 tsp. grated ginger
banana and 2 Tbsp. peanut butter
banana, strawberries, 2 Tbsp. chocolate syrup
strawberries, banana, peaches and apple
mixed berries and peaches or pears
bananas and kiwi fruit
watermelon
cantaloupe
peaches and 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup mint extract, 1/4 cup chocolate syrup
4 tsp. malted milk powder
1/4 cup chocolate syrup
1/3 cup unsweetened grape juice


Other add ins:

1/4 cup oatmeal
1 Tbsp. wheat germ
1/4 cup bran cereal
flaxseed oil
bee pollen
breakfast powder
protein powder
powdered milk
cocoa mix
instant pudding mix
powdered soft drink mix
2 Tbsp. fruit juice concentrate
cinnamon
nutmeg
any flavorings such as cherry, strawberry, peppermint etc.
whipped cream

I got this recipe off of webpage Living on a Dime (Click here for the link). During the summer I make lots of smoothies, and every time I make them, they are different. When I get out the blender to make them up, I make several batches, put them together in a gallon pitcher, and then pour what we don't drink in 5 1/2 oz containers with lids that I get at Smart and Final. Then I put them in the freezer to be taken out later. Then later, when someone gets a smoothie from the freezer, they pop it in the microwave for 25-20 seconds to defrost it a little.

When I make smoothies, I usually use orange juice or pineapple juice as the liquid along with the fruits and ice cubes or anything else I decide to put into my smoothies.

No comments: