MagPad Dinner Table

MagPad Dinner Table

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Green Salad

Lettuce mixture:
mixed baby greens
dried cranberries
chopped red apples
green grapes
almonds

Dressing:
3/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups olive oil
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/4 tsp. salt

Add vinegar to sugar, whisk well. Add oil and salt Whisk everything long and fast unti it thickens to the consistency of Karo syrup.

Sugar almonds:
3 cups slivered almonds
1 cup sugar

Heat sugar in teflon coated sauce pan on low heat until melted. Add almonds and mix to coat. Remove from heat and let cool.

I was cleaning out my email inbox and saw this recipe from April Steimle that she sent last summer. We had it at the dinner that was served between stake conference sessions last August. I remember that it was really good. I would substitute rice vinegar for red wine vinegar. No one has officially taught me how to sugar almonds. I was happy to read the detailed instructions. I never knew the ratio of almonds to sugar and I didn't know that you should start melting the sugar before you add the almonds.

No comments: