MagPad Dinner Table

MagPad Dinner Table

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Macaroni and Cheese

4 cups elbow macaroni
4 Tbs butter
4 Tbs flour
1 teas salt
3 cups milk
4 cups grated mild cheddar cheese OR 4 cups sharp cheese (you decide what kind of cheese flavor you want)

Cook macaroni until tender (follow the direction on your macaroni package)

While the macaroni is cooking, make white sauce with the next 4 ingredients. (To make a white sauce: melt butter in sauce pan. Add flour salt and stir until not lumpy. Then add milk and stir. Cook over medium heat on the stove until it gets thick, stirring constantly. When white sauce is thickened, add grated cheese.

Drain the macaroni and then add cheese sauce.

I made up this recipe when my kids were little. Everyone loves boxed mac and cheese, but when I had mac and cheese for dinner, I wanted to feed the family something more substantial and filling than the boxed kind.

This recipe makes a BIG batch. It feeds the whole magpad gang with leftovers. This is a recipe you might want to cut in half.

I did another post about macaroni and cheese on this blog. Click here to see it.

After I discovered Mrs. Dash seasoning, I decided that I like to sprinkle some Mrs. Dash on my mac and cheese after I dish it up on my plate.

No comments: