MagPad Dinner Table

MagPad Dinner Table

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Crock Pot Chicken

Spray crock pot with Pam (cooking spray). Put whole chicken or chicken pieces in crock pt. Add one cup salsa or BBQ sauce (see recipe below) Cook on high for several hours. (depending on how hot your crock pot cooks). Serve the chicken and broth that is made through the cooking process over rice.


I have made crock pot chicken almost every Sunday for the past 30 years. It makes a delicious Sunday meal with minimal effort. Our family favorite is to use the cup of salsa, but the BBQ version is good too.  Lately I've added a can of chicken broth along with the salsa when I put the chicken in. It gives me more chicken broth to use with the leftovers.   

When everyone is home from their Sunday meetings, I put on a pot of rice to cook for 20 minutes, and also serve a vegetable. I prefer to use chicken with bones because then it makes a better broth. I usually buy the frozen chicken breasts from Smart and Final and put the chicken in frozen or I'll use a whole fresh chicken, or chicken legs from Costco or Smart and Final. I like to buy my fresh chicken from Fresh and Easy or on sale at any grocery store. If I have any leftovers, I'll use it for chicken tortilla cassarole, or homemade soup (add a couple cans of chicken broth to what ever left over broth there is along with vegetables and noodles, or chicken tacos. If there is left overs with the BBQ sauce chicken I add stir fry vegetables and 1 TBS soy sauce to the BBQ chicken sauce and chicken and serve over rice. There is probably endless ideas to do with the left overs from this meal!

For a change I'll add this BBQ sauce recipe instead of adding salsa;

BBQ Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1 small can tomato sauce
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 Tbs prepared mustard
1/4 tsp Lowry season salt   (optional)                                                         

No comments: