MagPad Dinner Table

MagPad Dinner Table

Monday, June 8, 2009

Strawberry Poppy Seed Dressing

2 C Mayonnaise
1/3 C half and half
2/3 C sugar
3-4 tablespoons strawberry vinegar (Can you buy this? I'll have to check it out.)
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
3-4 tablespoons strawberry jam
A few drops of red food coloring
Cream together, pour over lettuce and sliced strawberries

My mom sent me this recipe this morning. It looked so good, I was excited to post it. This is what she said about the recipe:

"I finally got a copy of an excellent salad dressing recipe. They used it at a Stake Relief Society social where I was working in the kitchen. This recipe makes a very large amount, so, just cut it down. They put the salad on individual plates with the dressing on it and sliced strawberries on top. I cut the strawberries with an egg slicer. The slices were the perfect thickness."

When I made this dressing, I couldn't find any strawberry vinegar, so I just used rice vinegar instead and it tasted great.  Also, I don't add the half and half because I don't ever have it on hand.  Because there isn't any half and half in the dressing, I add a little extra rice vinegar to thin the dressing down.  I also don't add the red food coloring.  I'm fine with the light pick color the strawberry jam  gives it.  I use homemade strawberry jam when I make this recipe.  You can find out how to make strawberry jam by clicking here.

11/30/2021

After making this recipe for 12 years, it has morphed into this simple delicious recipe:

1 cup mayonnaise  
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
1 1/2 Tablespoons homemade (made from Sure Jell) strawberry freezer jam 

Mix it all together and enjoy. 



No comments: