MagPad Dinner Table

MagPad Dinner Table

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Italian Chicken and Couscous

This is couscous (pronounced cooz-cooz)

1 TBS oil (olive)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 can (14 1/2 oz) DICED stewed tomatoes, drained and 1/2 cup liquid reserved
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch strips
1 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/8 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise in half, then cut crosswise into 1/4 inch slices
3/4 cup couscous

Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.  Cook garlic in oil, stirring frequently.  Stir in reserved tomato liquid, chicken, onion, oregano, and pepper.  Heat to boiling; reduce heat.  Cover and simmer about 10 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink in center. [NOTE: cooking with raw chicken makes me nervous.  I will use a rotisserie chicken or chicken that I have previously cooked.]  Stir in broth; heat to boiling.  Stir in zucchini, couscous and tomatoes; remove from heat.  Cover and let stand about 5 minutes or until couscous is tender and liquid is absorbed.

Couscous is super tiny pasta--little tiny balls that make it look like a grain.  Find it in the pasta aisle or with the ethnic food.  College roommate Jess introduced me to the beauties of couscous.  I don't know if I've ever made this recipe with zucchini (since I never buy it).  Usually I use bell peppers. 

No comments: