MagPad Dinner Table

MagPad Dinner Table

Friday, July 11, 2008

Honey Wheat Bread


3 Tablespoons dry yeast
2 cups warm water
½ cup honey
1 Tablespoon salt
4 Tablespoons shortening (I use 4 tablespoons of butter instead of the shortening)
2 cups hot milk
6 cups whole wheat flour
4-5 cups white flour

Put the milk in a pan on the stove to get hot. Soften yeast in 2 c warm water (110 degrees) and set aside.

In a large bowl combine honey, salt, shortening and hot milk with mixer. Add wheat flour and mix with mixer. Add softened yeast and mix with mixer. Add 3 c white flour and mix with wooden spoon.

Put 1 c white flour on counter to knead bread mixture on. Knead for 10 minutes, adding white flour as needed. Put in large greased bowl and let rise until double in bulk. Form into 4 loaves and place in 4 greased loaf pans. Let rise until double in bulk. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

This recipe can be used with ingredients from your food storage items.

When I let the dough rise I just put it on my counter with a paper towel over it.* 

I got this recipe from a cookbook (The Magic of Wheat Cookery) I got for my wedding that was written by a lady in my home ward, Lorraine Dilworth Tyler. I chose this recipe because it looked like the easiest recipe in the book. I have been making this recipe for 30 +years.
June 19, 2023   

*After making this bread for the past 40+ years, I learned something new.  I saw it on a webpage (kingarthurbaking.com) that popped up on my computer the other day.   This was the headline that caught my attention:  "Things bakers know: You should never cover rising dough with a towel".  I always covered my bread dough with a paper towel while it raised.  After reading the post, I now put the dough in a very large bowel and cover it with saran wrap while it is rising for the first time.  You can read the explanation why and the benefits of doing so by clicking here.   

1 comment:

tn2s said...

I've been baking since I was a little girl and I tried many diff. whole wheat recipes. But this one turned out to be the best. I highly recommend it. Thank you.

Celina